September 25, 2017



I’m back after a two week mental and physical break post Ironman, and I am ready for reality again! I took some much needed time off from working out and any type of structured schedule to spend some time with an amazing group of people in Asheville, NC, Breckenridge and Denver, CO (more on that to come!), but I am here today to finally recap how Ironaman Wisconsin went!

The morning started off at 4AM after a surprisingly decent night of sleep. I immediately got out of bed, turned the coffee on and started preparing breakfast #1 of the day which consisted of the typical two pieces of sourdough toast topped with peanut butter and banana.

I was feeling great, mostly anxious knowing how fast the morning always goes prior to race start. Before I knew it, it was time to head downtown, right on time at 5:00AM. On the way down, I snacked on breakfast #2 of homemade sweet potato cookies as we swung by the VRBO to pick up Scott’s mom and brother (also racing). Parking was surprisingly easy and we arrived at Monona Terrace around 5:20.

First thing on the list was to drop off our special needs bags just outside of the Terrace, and second was double checking our transition bags were set to go.

After those tasks were checked off, I walked into the bike transition area where I had Trek pump up my tires, performed a quick overall bike check and added all of my fuel. Everything was good to go!

By now it was hitting just after 6AM and I walked down the helix to join my tri team for a quick photo. Right after the photo, it was time to put on my wetsuit, and take in one last bit of fuel (an energy gel) before lining up in my corral!

This years swim was a little different than the years past. Instead of a mass swim start, there were five waves of around 500 athletes total and I was in the first wave after the pros at 6:45AM which sure came quickly. We didn’t have a ton of time between entering the water and the gun going off, so I tried my  best to swim as close as I could get towards the buoy line.

Although the swim felt busy and crowded, it was not nearly as bad as last years mass start. The first 800m stretch or so of the swim was noticeably more chaotic than the rest of the swim, but we were blessed with calm water and there were plenty of buoys to help keep us on course. I don’t really think it ever thinned out completely and my mindset and attitude at the time was to just keep calm and keep swimming.

My goal for the swim was 1:13 so I was pretty happy when I saw I came in at 1:13:54. After a volunteer stripped off my wetsuit, I ran the .6 miles up the helix of the parking garage (which is one of my favorite things about IMWI!) inside to the transition area.

A volunteer quickly grabbed my bag and walked me into the women’s changing area. There, another volunteer helped me put on all of the necessary items I needed for my bike, and replaced those items in my bag with all of my swim gear. It was time for the bike!

Total Time: 1:13:54
Division Rank: 31
Gender Rank: 122
Overall Rank: 533
Transition 1: 7:46


Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @dailycupofkate
Pinterest -> dailycupofkate
Instagram – > dailycupofkate
Bloglovin’ -> Daily Cup of Kate


  1. Yaaaaa!!!!! Glad you had a nice 2 week break after the IM!!! I’m sure it was needed. I can’t even imagine a mass swim start. Even the waves with 500 at a time sound like too much, haha. You had a great swim! You wear your tri kit the whole time, huh? No wardrobe changes??
    I still can’t fathom how you do all this in transition so quickly, haha. I feel like I’ll have a 30 minute transition just b/c it seems like so much to do and such a long walk and what if I don’t have a volunteer? LOL

    • Hey! I dont know any different than mass start, but I am guessing I would love a rolling start haha! Yup, tri kit the whole time- its super comfortable! I tried to be quick during transition this year, but it was honestly really hard!!

%d bloggers like this: